Sunday, August 9, 2009

Food and Archaeology (and Artichokes)

Well, hello world!

I am here. I am nervous about this blogspot. I have never successfully kept a blog. This could be a new world for me. We'll see.

Today, I went with Nikki, Lily, and Mom to see Julie and Julia. It was so good. I loved seeing Paris. I loved seeing the food. I loved the music. There were so many good things going on in that movie. The entire feeling of the movie was inspiring. I feel like I should now cook through her cook book. The movie made me realize something: I love food. I'm in a tough place because I need to lose weight (who in America doesn't?) but I absolutely love food. I love everything about it. The smell. The taste. The nostalgia it awakes. The memories. You know when you walk into the store and you smell a little bit of sage and something sweet accompanying it? It takes you directly to Thanksgiving Day 1989. Right? You smell Earl Grey and sweet biscuits and you're transported directly back to High Tea in London. It's an absolutely breathtaking experience we are allowed to have daily.

I thought this love of food would be a problem in the weight lose endeavor... however, upon reassessment I think it will help. I love good food. Normally when you go to a restaurant to eat, you're getting something mass produced and uninspired. You can inspire your own food at home. Whatever you're feeling can be brought to life with a nice creamy hummus or a wonderfully savory fritter. I think I can do this. I think I can love food and lose weight. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

As cliche as this sounds coming from a youth of the nation: I think I've figured out what I want to do for a career. I want to be an archaeologist. I can do that, right? I've always been interested in digging, and I was looking at the Archaeology Magazine in Barnes and Noble and I could not put it down. I needed to read everything. That's a good enough reason to pursue a graduate degree, right? Haha. I, like most college students, need guidance. I need to know that I'm making the right choice, however, no one can decide that but myself.

Graduate school? At least 2 more years of school. US or abroad? Doctorate? There are so many decisions that no one ever preps you for. They may mention that a decision has to be made at one point, but they never tell you anything other than "follow your heart". I get it. I get it. I understand that is technically true but it seems like a cop-out occasionally.

On another note: I am always sick. I'm not upset about it because I'm used to it now... I just wish I had an answer. I don't even technically need a solution -- I just need to know.

Well, I'm going to bed. I am so sleepy right now. I think it's because I definitely did not get enough sleep last night and I slept on the floor because Katie was over. Night everyone (the conditional everyone.)

<3 Hope your day is great!
-Lauren Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment